Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The day after independence

It’s July 5, 2006, which can seem pretty humdrum being that it follows the excellent Independence Day USA. I was told that the spectacular holiday’s image is tainted by beer and fireworks but that really doesn’t bother me being that neither are particularly sentimental to me. What bothers me is that I did not get to be in Seward, AK for Mountain Marathon a fairly amazing race for the completely average citizen. So yes, today could seem dull, however, my encouragement is that this 5th day in July is not a boring day at all, even in lieu of yesterday’s fanaticism. Behold . . .

Live now France is playing Portugal for the chance to plat Italy for the World Cup. I must say that I am quite torn for whom to root for. Granted, it would just be neat to see Portugal win the World Cup and it would not be so neat for France to. I am told that it would give France even larger egos, and besides, they have other things going for them. On the other hand, the French players have fun names like “Henry.” Not that cool in America because we just shorten it to “Hank,” but say it in French and vous l'aimerez.

Almost as exciting is the "Running of the Nudes." I don’t know if that is so much exciting as it is intriguing. Essentially what happens is instead of running bulls around the Pamplona, Spain (because it’s mean, not to people but to the bull. I guess most people didn’t care about being chased by bulls so much) people run around naked for animal rights. The truth is I wonder about the integrity of it all. Nudity in public is something that I frown on, but I did read once about how nudity in public really isn't what you'd expect; it isn't sensual as much as it is silly but honestly i don't have that much experience with it.

No comments: